Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Crossing the Moon River and moving on to Jekyll Island

Hello, all you freezing people up north!  Char and I looked at your weather forecast last night and laughed, because it doesn't seem like -11 should be a temperature.  Maybe it should be an answer to an elementary kid's math problem, but not a temperature.  Yikes!  It's a balmy 22 degrees here in Georgia, which is much better, but still pretty cold, and the water froze in the hose connecting the camper to the spicket.  It's still nice to feel snug and cozy, and is memorable, camping in the cold with no water!

Here's our update.  We enjoyed our week at Skidaway Island State Park so much that we decided to spend another week in Georgia.  We moved south two hours to Jekyll Island Campground.  I had wondered, planning previous vacations, why we'd done beach vacations at most of the southeastern U.S. states, but never in Georgia, so I wanted to see a beach here.  I'd say it's nice, the atmosphere being more quaint than most beaches, and the sand not so white.  We got to explore yesterday during lunch break.  Char starts work early enough, and the kids and I take a nice homeschooling break in the middle of the day, so our general plan is to have 2 hours of daily exploring time at lunchtime while we're on this trip.  Here are some beach pictures:



There are also great scooter / bicycle / walking trails here!



It will be nice to explore here for the week, and see what else we see.

This morning, based on the song coming from Char's corner "office" in the camper, he was apparently being sentimental about our last campground.  Every time we drove onto Skidaway Island, we drove past a river, labeled with a green sign, "Moon River."  Of course, if you drive by such a sign, you immediately need to break into singing "Moon River," right?  Did anyone start singing the song because of reading this paragraph?  I'd thought it was a great name for a river, but it couldn't really be the river in the song.  However, this morning, Char researched the song, and that river is actually the namesake of the song.  How cool is that?  If I'd known, I would have photographed the sign and the river itself.  I did photograph a lot of water, so we'll just say that this picture is a picture of the Moon River.  I'm 99% sure it's not, but title-ing it Moon River will make me happy.  And we'll continue playing the song in our cozy camper with no water on this 22 degree day.  I wonder how many times I miss celebrating really cool things, like the Moon River, because I wasn't paying attention, or didn't believe what I was seeing?  I really want to pay attention!

Moon River


Now if you don't know the song "Moon River" and were completely bored by the last paragraph, maybe you'll be excited about shooting cannons.  My boys were.  On Saturday, we visited Fort Pulaski, and watched the cannon-firing demonstration.  I think I mentioned my boys' interest in big guns, but this was the highlight of the trip thus far for several of them.




Here ends a rather disjointed blog.  I hope you are warm and well!




5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jodi,

While we are dealing with the bone chilling temperatures, it is nice to think about 22 degree weather humming, "Moon River" and imagining walking along the trails by the beach! Thanks for the mental respite!

Love the pictures and the adventure blogs. Keep posting! *teeth chattering*

Mom Dad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mom Dad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mom Dad said...

We're impressed that you're familiar with "Moon River." That's from our generation.

We so anticipate your blog entries! It's great that you share your trip this way.

Kristy K said...

Love the adventures Jodi! I was humming Moon River in my head when I read this... well, at least the one line of the song that I know. :)