Thursday, January 9, 2014

It's interesting

Some people have said they like to be able to picture us where we're living, so it's time to post some photos of our new "house."  Ever wonder what it would be like to live, as a family of 6, in 400 square feet?  Here's some pictures.

This is our bedroom, which includes Char's office in the corner, and a bathroom, which can be separated by a curtain.



This is our kids' bedroom, which doubles as a homeschool room.  There's another half bathroom off of this.



Here's our kitchen, dining room and family room:



That's it!  I didn't take a picture, but we do have some storage under the camper.  We call this our "basement," and it's where we keep scooters, propane, etc.

This all fits into what's been on my mind lately.  Want to read about some contrasts?  Our current 400 square feet is quite different from the house we just sold, which was about 2300 square feet.  Coincidentally, according to the U.S. census, 2300 square feet was the average size of a home in the U.S. in 2012.  According to wikipedia, the average house size worldwide is 700 square feet.  Interesting, huh?  Not that there's anything wrong with lots of square footage, but still, it's interesting.

Before we moved into 400 square feet, I was a little concerned about how that would work, with a family of 6.  However, we had a good test of the situation a few days ago, when the temperature was in the 20s for 48 hours, and our family was in our 400 square feet together for two days.  It worked just fine.  For me, I think it works better than having a big house.  I'm not a great housekeeper, and I would stress about the house not being clean enough.  But really, do I want the result of my life to be that I had a really big, really clean house?  Do I want my home to own me?  I know I want to be owned by God, loving Him and loving other people.

Honestly, this blog probably doesn't apply to most people reading it, so I'm not really sure why I'm writing it.  I guess it's what's on my mind a lot.  I think most people can handle a lot of square footage and "stuff" better than I can, and I don't think most people need to sell their houses and do smaller, like we're doing now.  On the other hand, we in the U.S. have a lot of excess, and we spend a lot of time maintaining all that extra "stuff."  So, today you're reading what I've been thinking about:

excess,

contrasts worldwide,

what we spend our time doing.

It's interesting.



(In case this was not interesting to you, stay tuned for updates on sea turtles, sand dollars, and the space coast.)





6 comments:

Kristy K said...

Jodi, I just love you! I can hear your "voice" as I read this! Enjoy your little abode and all the blessings that come with small spaces!

Melenie said...

You shame me! I spent our entire time living in Portland quietly (and not so quietly) complaining about the lack of space in our condo. For me... it was a need to have more elbow room... which God has blessed us with abundantly in our new home, and loess about the "stuff" within the walls. Our stuff has taken a beating with 2 cross country moves. We've had things break and we've given away a lot because it was easier than packing it..... I don't miss dusting the stuff!

Gina said...

I am totally fascinated by your ... I'm not sure what to call it ... Experiment? Life? Calling? Whatever it is, I hope you don't doubt that it is of interest to others, even complete strangers, and keep writing! Congrats on your leap and good luck in your journey.

Unknown said...

One of my favorite memories is from our time in seminary. Some of our PGH friends were coming back from vacation (another family of five) and asked to stop by for an overnight visit. I cherish that visit and have often thought how much we would have missed if I had let the concerns of space take over our desire to host our friends. I have had similar thoughts concerning space and stuff. You are not alone and I am glad to hear that 400 sq ft is working out just fine.

Shane and Sarah said...

I have always wondered if it would simplify life to do exactly what you are doing with this 400 square feet and 6 people in the family.

Unknown said...

Thank you Jodi for keeping us updated!
I think I would stay where the weather is warm right now! Enjoy your time and I look forward to the next blog!
Beckie