Saturday, January 18, 2014

Scary alligator stories

When we first told our kids we were going to be taking this trip, they were very excited.  After awhile, though, they began asking questions like, "Will we be camping where there are bears?  What about alligators?  Or poisonous snakes?"  I told them that yes, we probably would be camping with some of these creatures around, and they promptly told me that they were going to skip those campgrounds.

This week is the first week of our trip where we are camping in an area known for the presence of alligators.  Everyone needs to read a few good scary alligator stories, right?  Here you go.

Scary Alligator Story #1
Look at this picture.  Isn't it beautiful?



We were on our way to Canaveral National Seashore, and we passed a dirt road (maybe more of a dirt path), that went out into the water.  My husband has new-truck-with-four-wheel-drive syndrome and really wanted to do some off-roading.  As we turned onto this path, I was really wishing he would have chosen somewhere to do his off-roading that was not named alligator alley, with only one narrow lane, and a drop-off into the water on either side.  However, isn't it beautiful?  This is not something you'd ever see on a normal Florida road, and we would never have seen it if we hadn't had done this drive.

Scary Alligator Story #2
You know what the best time of the day is?  Early morning.  When there's just a little bit of light, and a crispness in the air.  (If you thought any other time of the day was best, you're wrong.)  :)  It's the best time to go out for a walk for exercise and solitude, in with God's beauty.  See this?



I walked down to the water and out onto the fishing pier.  I walked most mornings home in Doylestown, but it took me more time to work up the courage here, because of not knowing the location of the dark paths, and not knowing what other people and animals were out.  However, I stood on the fishing pier, and it was so peaceful and beautiful.  I saw a line in the water, and I stared at it, trying to figure out what it was.  Eventually, an enormous nose popped out of the water, said, "PFFFFF," and went back underwater.  It was a huge nose, and it crossed my mind to run off the pier because an alligator was for sure out there, planning to eat me up!  However, another thought quickly followed, that alligators don't generally hang out completely submerged in water, so I stayed on the dock.  It was still darkish, but I realized the creature was a manatee.  Huge and beautiful, in a manatee kind of way.  It was incredible watching him, and I was so happy to have been out, hanging out with a manatee, in the early hours of the morning.  Amazing!

(That manatee did not show up in a photo, since it was too dark.  Here, you can sort of see the manatee our whole family saw at Canaveral National Seashore.)



Scary Alligator Story #3
The S.S. Utter sails again, this time in Florida!  This was so fun, and this time I wasn't scared, but the kids were.  Our family seems to have an alligator paranoia, but now we've sailed in the Indian River in Florida, regardless of the presence of alligators.  Again, it ended up being so fun, and was a highlight of our time here.



Weren't those great scary alligator stories?  Only thing was, WE NEVER SAW A SCARY ALLIGATOR in any of them!  Our kids and I worried over nothing.  (Char wasn't scared for an instant.)  Isn't that crazy?  Worrying over things that never happen?  And isn't it wonderful the great things we got to see even in situations that were scary to us?  It always seems, in my life, that when I do things I find to be scary, they're the best experiences.  These are some great memories from this week!

I've been reading Psalm 91 a lot lately.

Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
    my God, in whom I trust.”

Isn't that great?  Trust in God cancels out fear, and things don't need to be scary.  Especially not scary alligator stories that never include an alligator.  I'm going to keep reading Psalm 91.  Maybe you'd like it, too?

In any case, we hope you have a wonderful week, and are nowhere near any scary alligators!

2 comments:

Kristy K said...

LOVE THIS:):)!

Kristin said...

Row Row Row your boat
gently down the stream
If you see an alligator
don't forget to scream~