Monday, March 17, 2014

Expectations, Louisiana, and San Antonio

Hi Everyone!  I hope you're having a good week!  We're currently in San Antonio, which is fantastic, but as I thought about writing a blog, my mind was going back to New Orleans.

I was thinking about what I wrote last time about New Orleans, and I think it wasn't fair to Louisiana.  It's true that my first impression, while driving to the city, was that it made Akron, Ohio look scenic, but had the crowds of New York City...  but it's also true that as the week went on, I got to appreciate the New Orleans area more and more.  Ever had the experience where it takes time to appreciate something?  Or you need to learn about something more in order to appreciate it?

We went on a swamp tour.  I hadn't been planning to do this, as we'd been seeing gators and swamps a lot in our regular exploration of the south, but there's something about a good groupon that lures you in to doing things you might not have otherwise done.  :)  It's a good thing, too.  I really enjoyed hearing the guide talk about his life, which season to do your alligator hunting, how to hunt and trap various other animals, and it was just interesting.  Sometimes, I hear people talk, and their lives seem so drastically different from mine, that it seems like it must be some kind of joke.  But, this guy was serious, and it was really cool to learn about and appreciate the different life style.  Plus, the swamp really is beautiful once I took time to appreciate it!




Also, who doesn't want to hold a gator?  These blogs have been sadly lacking in gator pictures lately, and the Louisiana bayou solved that problem.



Several different days, we visited Jean LaFitte National Park.  Again, the bayou was really fun to explore and appreciate the beauty.



We also watched a movie about Cajun history and culture at the nature center, and that taught me further to enjoy New Orleans for what it is, and how different it is from what I've known.  I really liked the New Orleans area!!

Now we're in San Antonio.  While I'd expected to like New Orleans before getting there, I hadn't expected to like Texas as much.  My expectations were all wrong.  Our family is loving San Antonio!  We are camping at a ranch, south of San Antonio.  Our kids are enjoying doing this,



playing in this,



and riding through the campground-ranch like this:




After church the next day, we began our first full day of exploring on the riverwalk.  Really, really cool!



After walking around the Riverwalk, we took the boat tour.  It was very fun!




At this point, we were also informed that in a few hours, the San Antonio St. Patrick's Day parade would begin.  Nothing like celebrating holidays with the locals, like we're from the town!  It was so cool to see the river water dyed green and the boats go by in the parade.  So fun to watch!



Texas also has some great scootering trails, complete with crazy switchbacks.  Our family decided that the trail near the Medina (Me-dee-nah) River had the best scootering we've found so far.



Plus, when you're on a trail and find a skull, your boys will declare Texas awesome.



Has this been interesting at all?  It sure has been interesting to see and to appreciate our country.  Absolutely amazing - all the differences and beauty everywhere!  I didn't expect any of this when we set off in December.   It's fun!  And we hope that sometime in your day, you have a chance to do something new, that blows all your expectations, too.   Love from the Utter Family!







3 comments:

Natalie said...

I have been following your blog for some time and just had to comment on how much I love reading it! We are patiently waiting on God's timing for our own fulltime RV adventure, and your posts are true blessings full of excitement & inspiration...even on rainy days:-) Thank you for sharing! Looking forward to what's next (for both our families)! Blessings!

Susan said...

I, too, have been following your blog. We live in Garden Ridge, a community on the NE side of San Antonio. Welcome to the area! You might find the Natural Bridge Caverns on FM 3009 a fun adventure with the kids. It is on this end of town.

Have a great time in Texas!!

Susan Buchanan

Jodi said...

Natalie and Susan, it's nice to "meet" you! Natalie, when God opens the door, you'll love it! Susan, thanks for the advice! I just woke up wondering what we should visit today, so I'll definitely check out Natural Bridge- sounds cool! Blessings to you both!