Thursday, March 6, 2014

Thoughts on a Thursday

Going for a solitary, brisk walk through the rain is one of the greatest and most under-rated pleasures of life on earth.  I love it!  I love how the raindrops feel on my nose, I love how the air smells clean, and I love the sound of raindrops on my hood.  I love coming back inside after a rainwalk, the camper still quiet since Char has given me a night off, and getting into my snug and toasty pi's, while listening to the rain hit the canopy.  A beautiful sound and a beautiful night!

My daughter is now an armadillo.  When we left Ohio, she was calling herself a puppy.  Then, she switched animals, and would only respond if you said, "Here kitty, kitty, kitty!"  Now we're in Alabama, and she's decided she's an armadillo.  I see why.  Armadillos are super cute, and if they get tired of walking on the bottom of rivers, they can swallow a lot of air to become buoyant and float.  How cool is that?

My third son has no space to sleep.  We got rid of so many toys in Ohio, but somehow, he's accumulated so many treasure - rocks, shells, Mardi Gras beads, and random favorite legos.  Since he has no other place for them, they're all in his bed, and I don't know how he possibly sleeps.

For the first time on our trip, we met another full-time RVing family!  It's fun to be instant friends, because of shared experience, and it was fun to hear all the kids excitedly discussing their favorite stops, shark-sightings, alligators, and RV amenities.  I think we'd all missed our friendships, and it was so nice to meet a similar family!

It's Lent.  We don't really celebrate Lent, but lately, I've come across a lot of people who do.  I think it's a good thing - to spend time thinking about Jesus' sacrifice for us.  There so much to think about in a day: happy rain walks, armadillo-daughters, sleeping space and organization, friendships and families…  what have you thought about today?  I loved today.  But life is about more than armadillos, and I like the idea of Lent as a constant reminder of life, and of meaningful life.  We get a lot of enjoyment out of this trip, but Jesus provides even more joy.  So, happy Lent to you!  I hope your days and thoughts are full of meaning and depth and purpose and Jesus... and also some rain walks.  :)


1 comment:

Kristy K said...

So true that Jesus brings more joy that everything else! And God created all of those beautiful things.... rainy walks, quiet evenings, friendships, etc.... for us to delight in!