Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Home

The events in our lives for the last few months have been making me think about the word "home."

The beautiful, blue Caribbean wave was bigger than the others and crashed in my daughter's face.  "I want to go home to our pool," she said.  As we have no pool in Ohio, by "home," she meant the condo in which we were staying in the Dominican Republic.  Home is wherever you're currently living.

I came home today after dropping my kids off at Grandma-school.  The weird part about "home" now is that we no longer own this house.  We're renting it from the next owners, but this house will always seem like a bit of home to me.  We brought three of our kids home from the hospital here when they were born.  Although our oldest son came home to a different house originally, he had the distinction of christening this house, when we first visited it with a realtor, by turning on the burner on the gas stove, trying to explode this home.  I have so many memories here, and home is a place that is full of memories.

We sold our house so quickly.  My husband put it on craigslist.  Using craigslist, not a MLS listing with a realtor, it sold in five days.  As we've walked through the process of selling our house, moving, buying a 5th wheel and truck, everything has happened so quickly and with good deals financially.  As we've prayed about it, there is no doubt in my mind that God is leading us to do this.  I'm not sure why, but I know it's what we're supposed to do, and that is a comfortable feeling.  Home is the comfort of being in the will of God for our lives, and walking through life with Him.

We tried to buy property here in Ohio, to build a house for when we return from being on the road.  That didn't work out.  I had been clinging to that property as "home."  It had been a sense of security that I knew the big picture plan for our lives, and it hurt when buying the property didn't happen.  My second son brought up the fact that he wished we still had the property and we'd know where we would be when we come home.  I thought the same thing.  Home is a sense of security in belonging.

All of my children gave the same number, when asked a question about going on this extended RV trip.  On a scale of 1 to 10, they are excited to go on this trip an 8.  They are excited to go because of the adventure, but the reason why they wanted to stay is that they'll miss their cousins, grandparents, and friends.  Home is friendship.

We move out in 18 days.  What will be "home" then?  It will be a 40-foot 5th wheel.  Home, in the next months, might refer to Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas...  who knows?  In this case, home will not be a location, or a place with an established set of memories.  So what will "home" be?  It is a nice, warm, cozy feeling to think that "home" is wherever my family is; where there is love; where there is commitment to each other.  I love that wherever we go, my family will be with me, and we will be home.  Home is where there is love and commitment and family.

So, it seems to me, home is wherever we're currently living; home is a place full of memories; home is walking through life with the Lord; home is security and belonging; home is friendship; home is love; home is commitment; home is family.

The song says, "I'll be home for Christmas," and even if you're not moving, Christmastime is a good time to think about home.  What comes to mind when you think of "home?"


5 comments:

Kristy K said...

"All I know is I'm not home yet..." :):) It's hard not to feel like our earthly dwellings - the places we live and love and grow - are our real homes. :) Your home is waiting for you! Enjoy the journey :):).

Jodi said...

you're absolutely right, kristy! love it!

Melenie said...

Just shy of 2 years ago when we were telling Ohio and "home" goodbye, "All I know is I'm Not home Yet" had just come out and it seemed to be our anthem as we prepared to move cross country to Portland. I remember my heart hurting and tears running down my face as we drove out of our driveway for the last time and the song was playing on the radio and we all sang it loudly. As Portland became home, I would hear the song occasionally, but not so much. Then.... as we prepared to move to NC and an even longer cross country drive.... we heard that song several times in each state! What we've learned is that home wasn't our cozy ranch in Wadsworth, or our condo in Portland or even our beautiful cottage style home here in Charlotte. Home is knowing that, in each case, we were exactly where God wanted us. Home was found in our churches, our small groups, our friends. Home is standing in the To's kitchen in Portland drinking coffee and teaching my friends how to make cinnamon rolls. Home is sitting on the beach with Olivia and Tim on New years Day. Home is my best friend Laurie showing up to help us unload our furniture. Home is the stupid green frog statue that has sat outside of each house that we have ever lived in as a family. Home is Olivia sneaking into bed to snuggle even though she's a big girl. Home is knowing which coffee cup Tim prefers. Home is knowing that at the end of the day, we're together and that at the end of our life's journey's... we'll still be together in our forever home. Be blessed in your travels.

Jodi said...

Aw, I absolutely loved reading what you wrote, Mel. So much "home" that God's provided you while He's moved you from one place to another. It's beautiful. Thanks for sharing! :)

Colorful Heart said...

My husband and son do NOT like change and hate staying in hotels. But they discovered they enjoyed living in an RV. Even when the setting changed, once they walked in the door, "home" was still the same. (And my daughter and I delighted in all the new people we met and new places we visited!) Enjoy your adventure--you will take "home" with you...