Monday, December 23, 2013

Word

I adore words.

When I started trying to get rid of stuff so that I could fit my family of six into 400 square feet, almost nothing "makes the cut" of what to bring along.  If we can't eat it, if we can't wear it, or if it's not directly involved in the homeschooling of our children or my husband's employment, it's probably not in our 5th wheel.

That would probably make you think that there wouldn't be a box of books hidden next to the bed in my new bedroom.  Or that I wouldn't have sentimentally made room for cards from some of the people we're leaving behind.  As I look back, I think even the reason I started dating my husband was because he wrote me a poem.  I love words.

Just in case you're misguided enough not to have "words of affirmation" as your love language, and you're not tracking with me here - words used properly can communicate love, make people feel special, and can breathe life into a listener.  Words help you define and understand purpose.  Words make things happen, because they motivate and give direction.

My thoughts are all over the place, trying to move and clean and plan and Christmas is thrown into the jumble of my current life.  But, this Christmas, I discovered that Christmas is about a Word.  Do you know that the beginning of the book of John in the Bible reads, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."  Isn't that interesting?  Jesus is called "the Word."  This makes a whole lot of sense to me, because as I just described what words mean to me, they are also what Jesus, The Word, means to me.  In Him is love, life, purpose, direction, and in Him, things happen!

Maybe you don't love words as much as I do, but I do hope you have a beautiful Christmas, full of life and love from the Word - Jesus.  Merry Christmas, everyone!

Next blog - North Carolina!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautifully worded entry. You are amazing...I hope you all have a safe and fun adventure! And remember that you are always welcome in VA too!
Love you and Merry Christmas!!

Trish U said...

Merry Christmas Jodi!